Here are 35 facts about DEATH that you should definitely know:
1. About 100 billion people have died in all human history.
2. About 153,000 people will die on your birthday.
3. Influenza caused over twenty-one million deaths in 1918.
4. Mount Everest has about 200 dead bodies on it, which are now landmarks on the way to the top.
5. Each year in America there are about 300,000 deaths that can be attributed to obesity.
6. The leading cause of deaths for children between the ages of 1 and 4 are motor vehicle crashes.
7. Every 40 seconds, someone commits suicide.
8. When a person dies, hearing is generally the last sense to go. The first sense lost is usually sight. Then follows taste, smell, and touch.
9. Greek philosopher Chrysippus is said to have died of laughter after getting his donkey drunk, trying to eat figs.
10. 80% of all Soviet males born in 1923 died in World War II.
11. Every 90 seconds, one woman dies during pregnancy or childbirth.
12. A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated.
13. Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously – it can kill you.
14. 35 million of your cells die every minute.
15. Crucifixion is still an official form of death penalty in Sudan.
16. Obese drivers are 78% more likely to die in a car crash.
17. Within three days of death, the enzymes that once digested your dinner begin to eat you.
18. 20,000 children die worldwide every day due to poverty.
19. As many as 440,000 people die from preventable medical errors every year.
20. Murderers, on average, are 7.5 years younger than their victims.
21. Mysophilia is the practice of ingesting the body fluids of corpses, particularly urine.
22. It is impossible to commit suicide by holding one’s breath. At worst, the person who tries this will eventually lose consciousness. The lungs will then start to breathe again automatically.
23. Elephants have been known to die of broken hearts if a mate dies. They refuse to eat and will lay down, shedding tears until they starve to death. They refuse all human help.
24. Under the proper conditions of moisture and heat, the flesh of a buried body will turn to soap.
25. In Greek mythology, it was believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.
26. The lack of physical activity is one of the leading causes of preventable death worldwide.
27. Every year lightning kills 1000 people.
28. 1 in every 8 deaths on earth are linked to air pollution, a study says.
29. Vending machines kill 13 people per year.
30. Health fanatic Basil Brown managed to kill himself by drinking a gallon of carrot juice a day, in the belief it would make him healthy.
31. Estimates for the total number of people killed in wars throughout all of human history range from 150 million to 1 billion.
32. In 1567, the man said to have the longest beard in the world died after he tripped over his beard running away from a fire.
33. The trigger of death, in all cases, is lack of oxygen. Its decline may prompt muscle spasms, or the “agonal phase,” from the Greek word agon, or contest.
34. In Madagascar, people dig up bodies of their ancestors and dance with them around the tomb, in a tradition called Famadihana.
35. In 2013, Google founded Calico, an anti-aging company designed to ultimately “cure” death.
The Author(Lia) has also posted this article on sociopool.com